Sunday, December 4, 2016

The Brick Miser: Advent Calendar 2016: Mega Bloks Despicable Me: Day 3

Day 3: Penguin













On the third day, Mega Bloks created the birds of the ground. More specifically, this penguin model. It's interesting that they decided to make a penguin out of standard building bricks as opposed to molding a figurine.













I actually have a larger penguin model where they do the same. ...I'm going to have to put that together one of these days. ...Foreshadowing...













For a small model made with only 8 pieces, it's not half bad. I especially like the feet made out of those long claw bricks. That fits the bird feature perfectly. ...Even though penguin feet are webbed and not clawed, but I digress...













The beak, I don't know about. Usually with brick bird models, they use small, slanted bricks for beaks. This is different, I'll give them that, but I don't know if it needed to be. Sort of gives it an "Elephant Seal" look. Or maybe Jimmy Durante returned for another Christmas special...













The wing piece is fine. I would have preferred it if they used those clawed flag pieces to give it some articulation, but if you're trying to fit a bunch of bricks in a tiny window, I guess you need to cut corners.













Overall, a pretty good representation of a penguin given what they had to work with. I could nitpick, and I have, but there's no major problem. And since this figure comes with skis according to the front of the box, I'm looking forward to seeing how those fit.

So yeah, three down and no major disappointments. ...Let's hope I didn't just jinx it...

No comments:

Post a Comment