Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Brick Miser: Advent Calendar 2017: Mega Bloks Monster High: Day 7

Day 7: Candle & Cakes













Once again, they waste no time in giving us accessories, as the day after we got the table, we get some stuff to put on it.













First the cakes. Both are made with the same layered bricks, just with a different color in the middle. So you get your choice between mold and fungus.













The plates these come on are pretty nice as well, sort of molded in a flower shape but also resembling fine dining silver tableware. It fits the sort of neo-Gothic style the franchise tries to emulate for its haunted setting.













Both come with these little spider toppers, which look to be exclusive molds for this line. I can't tell if these are decorative frosting toppers or actual spiders, but considering what I know about this series, I wouldn't be surprised either way.













 It took me a short while to figure out why they molded the spiders with holes in the middle, but then it finally dawned on me that that's the place to put the candle. So now you can wish your little Monster High figurine a Happy Birthday! ...Or Death-Day, as I assume a number of these characters actually celebrate. ...I don't know.













Speaking of which, I REALLY like the design of this candle and holder. It would have been easy for them to just use a regular white pipe piece with a small flame sticking out of it, but they actually went for a more detailed version!













Unfortunately, even with a macro lens on my camera, it refuses to focus well enough to see much of the detail, but it does look like a candle. There's a collection of wax around the rim as the candle burns and you can see wax running down in streams. It's really not a bad design, and I'm always happy when they choose the more accurate mold for something than the cheap standard they used for some other part.













The flame is also a nice mold, sicking in the top of the candle pretty much seamlessly. ...Though up close, it looks like Troll hair, come to think of it... But if it is, brutality to those abominations is something I can get behind.













The candle holder is a more standard design then the candle, and I swear I've seen this base piece before, but it does its job. I'm not expecting custom molds for EVERYTHING in any set.













 Still, they did make it possible for these figures to hold it with their strange hand molds. ...Awkwardly, but it's there, so points for functionality.













And there's your little party area. A table with some cakes and a candle centerpiece, which can easily be used for birthdays and deathdays alike. What this has to do with the winter theme of the calendar, I have no idea, but it looks nice and it all fits. ...Barely...

No comments:

Post a Comment